The Most Hypocritical Blog.

As a society, we are obsessed with the name.  Top designers like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Givenchy, ect. are all desired by many just because of the designer label.  Even non-clothing companies like BMW, Smeg, and Apple are all name brands that people buy just to say "I can afford this". Unfortunately, I am no different.  Many of my blogs are writing from the side I wish I had, but it would be impossible for me to change my perspectives and views, if you get what I'm saying. Anyway, what exactly are "name brands"? Name brands are the famous brands that dominate the car, fashion, tech, basically every industry. There are probably even name brand sinks and garbage cans.  I think part of the rise in popularity of name brands, clothing in particular, was the rise of celebrity culture in America. Celebrities were seen flaunting their designer wear, driving their Rolls-Royces, and shopping in high-end department stores. Because celebrities are idolized by many, people would do anything to try to be as similar to them as possible. We are willing to spend over 1,000 dollars on designer shoes, when similar shoes could be bought for like 70 dollars.  Brands can raise their prices just because of their name, and I think that's unfair. We have also developed the idea that anything that isn't name brand is cheap and poorly made, when most of the time, they're about the same quality as the name brands.  We should feel no shame wearing a T-shirt from Target and shoes from Walmart and forget the idea of "name brands".

Comments

  1. I agree with what you said in your post. I understand the feeling of subconsciously thinking that if something costs more, it's probably better. However, most products are manufactured very similarly and with that in mind, the cost of making designer items is probably a lot closer to basic products than people would like to admit. This leads to more expensive items losing their interest as they become part of a passing trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i completely agree with you miles because people compete to have everything that is trendy and new just to be on " the wave" which is truly kind of sad. i honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did have branded trash cans. lol. but do you think that these name brands use the need for aesthetic sensation. do you think that they use celebrities just for the amount of recognition they receive to their product? because i do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is kind of sad to think that someone who has status in our world can indirectly control how we feel we should dress or what we feel we need to have. This idea of name brands is one that interest me a lot, as I find it hard to believe that a label can mean so much to us, but as you have stated it truly does impact us. However, considering we live in a society that tries so hard to label everyone we meet I guess it makes sense as to why it works. I too am such a victim of this concept. I often find myself becoming obsessed with the brands I buy and wear, so much to the point that I worry what others will think if I wear a brand that is different no matter if it is any cheaper than a name brand or not. This totally made me think about how much control outside influences have on us. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow miles I greatly agree and can relate to this post. Unfortunatley I agree that many people today are simply buying the brand to become apart of something or as you said say "I can afford this." Many people often long for the need to fit in and belong to something and that is exactly what these brands are providing. I have also noticed that in many commercials that these name brands are distributing are giving us an image of something perfect that naturally all humans are drawn to. I wish more people nowawdays, including myslef, would stop focusing so much on materialist things as true value. Since, with this idea it forces the people who arent able to go with these trends to be looked at as different, when really those things dont matter at all, instead its more about the person you create yourself to be allowing yourself to grow. As I am writing this comment I am realizing that I as well as everyone else has the ability to vier away from trends, its just wether or not we're willing to take the time - Nina Lopez

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts